Friday, April 24, 2009

Alive!

This post is for those who have read Alive, or would like to discuss it before they read it.

Does this book gain an ick factor more or less because it is true?

Am I the only one who is now afraid to fly?

Did this story need to be told? Is it worthy?

True stories often lose something because they don't follow the strict plot line of a well crafted
novel. Did this book lose something for lacking a true antagonist (I guess mother nature gets the nod here) or because it doesn't really have a story arc?

Is it okay for authors to embellish on true stories (A Million Little Pieces) or when writing thee types of novels should they keep their adverbs and adjectives in check? How passionate can one get about telling a rue story before they lose credibility or reliability?

3 comments:

  1. I may be one of the few, but I actually liked the book Alive. I thought that it was an incredible story of survival and I now know what to do if I get stuck in the mountains. I believe that the author did a great job on describing what the people had to do in order to survive (convert to cannibalism) without overly describing it. While it does gain an ick factor, the author kept it classy and not overly graphic. However, the plane crash scene was terrifying! Now if a plane is going down I will have to worry about surviving the crash, not getting my legs crushed by the seats, and not getting elevation sickness. While this book has left me somewhat scarred, I believe that it is an incredible story about the power of the human soul and is worth being told. Those people overcame so many unbelievable obstacles and it truly has taught me that every day and my family are blessings not to be taken lightly.
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really cool.i deffinently want to read it.BTW......atitude sickness SUCKS!:(lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who else read this one? This was a big group, no?

    ReplyDelete